Friday, November 6, 2009

Hola Ecuador!

Arrived last night, Thursday, into Quito after a bit of a bumpy flight from Miami.  Everything went smoothly - from going through customs and immigration, collecting my bags, and being met and put into a cab for Villa Nancy Hostel.  In line at immigration they gave us a third form to fill out and the guy behind me asked if he could use my pen.  When I gave it to him, he asked what it said - it was from my credit union, Denali Alaskan.  He proceeded to quiz me as to where I was from and it turns out he is a biologist who works on the fish wheel for F&G up the Taku River every summer! 

I've been concerned about adjusting to the altitude, but it seems I'm adjusting ok.  Not great, but ok.  I was horribly tired today - and slept most of the day.  Some of that may be from traveling and the stress of getting ready, but some of it is surely the altitude.  I am been drinking tons of water ,not doing much.

I walked a few blocks to the Super Maxi to buy a few groceries and water.  The prices were low for the most part - I bought a box of Nature Valley granola bars which cost a bit over $6, but figured it was worth it as I don't know if I can get that kind of a snack in Otavalo and I like to have something with me that I can just grab if I need to. 

I paid .28 for a 1/2 kilogram (about 1 lb) of bananas(4) compared to just about a dollar a pound at home.
I saw many familiar brands throughout the store and nothing too unusual really stuck out.  Now, having the cheddar cheese in the gourmet cheese case was a  bit different, but....

My Spanish sucks.  It sure is different hearing a word than reading it -- which I know is the case, but is quite frustrating.  I was able to communicate - barely - with the hostal worker and she was very patient and helped me with a few words. 

Most of the other guests here speak Spanish as well as their native language and thankfully English.  There are a few German gals, another from Switzerland and a couple that just came in tonight that I haven't talked with yet. 

I hope to go up to the La Panecilla tomorrow - a hill in the center of the city with a statue of the Virgin Mary and a great view of the city and the mountains and volcano.  A taxi there only costs $2 each way and is the safest way to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay Margie! Glad to hear that you're safe and having a great time! Best of luck to you in this new year and location of teaching!

    ReplyDelete