Sunday, March 7, 2010

My neighborhood

Two posts in one day...but I just feel like it!

I took some pics out my bedroom window the other day.  I am on the third floor of the house, facing the street.  My family's bedroom is on the same floor, with a window out the back.  Our house is one house from a corner.  The cross street gets a bit of traffic, which I can hear clearly from my room.  And, although this is a residential neighborhood, there are a couple of businesses on the street level of several of the homes. 

Across the street is a little tiendo, where my "mom" and many of the other neighbors go every morning to get bread.  Most of them go in their pajamas and bathrobes and slippers.  The people with this store also have two german shepards and another dog that live on their rooftop terrace and bark at every person, cat and dog that goes by. 

On the corner is an internet cafe which is open until 10 or so.  Also, on that corner, for some reason it seems to attract partiers and they sit around on the stoops and sidewalk drinking, talking, and laughing until the wee hours of the  morning. 

Someone regularly leaves their house in the middle of the night by taxi -- I often hear a taxi radio going off in the middle of the night.  The house next door is a small hostel, and this weekend, I noticed a sign up for lunch!  So now they are a restaurant too. All of this in a middle-class neighborhood. 







The best part of my window/neighborhood, is being able to see a volcano out my window each morning and colorful sunsets every evening.  Lately, the volcano has had snow on it.  By the afternoon, clouds are usually covering the top of the mountain.

1 comment: