Tuesday, November 22, 2011

State & Kremlin Museums

The last two days I have been going and going!  I can't believe how long I can spend in a museum! Good thing the second museum didn't allow photos!  Between standing and walking, I was on my feet for at least 6 hours STRAIGHT on my feet! 

The State Historical Museum was very interesting, with each room designed/decorated to match the period in history on exhibit in that room.  The exhibits went from from pre-historic (which I breezed through) to the early 1900's.  Here is a link to my photo page, with WAY too many photos and a link to a blurb about the Museum: 


https://picasaweb.google.com/117120466845854055422/Nov21StateHistoricalMuseum

http://www.moscow.info/museums/state-historical-museum.aspx

After the museum I walked round through Alexander Park on the outside of the Kremlin walls and scoped out the ticket booth for the next day.  There was the tomb of the unknown soldier and also a wonderful fountain  with statutues from fairy tales.  I took a few photos.  Then, I noticed a McDonalds.  Just cracks me up to see a McDonalds, a sign of American Capitalism, right outside the Kremlin walls.





Terri was relieved when I got home  yesterday, that she had not gone with me !  She is getting ready for their move from Moscow to London and was able to get quite a bit done, on top of making the best ever burritos in her own red chili sauce.  To die for.

This morning we had Sasha drive us down to the Red Square area and we went into the GUM (pronounced Goom), which is an absolutely beautiful shopping center and has a very long facade along the side of Red Square opposite the Kremlin wall. Here is a link, which is to their main page which has a real nice pic of the building across the top banner.  Click on the link for the history though, as it's pretty interesting.  http://www.gum.ru/en/

From there I headed over to the Kremlin ticket window and got tickets to go into the grounds and churches and another for the Armoury, which is a museum "...which boasts a staggering collection of Tsarist artifacts, Russian and foreign jewelry and armour. Although the museum has been open to the public since the mid-19th Century, the current collection was established as recently as 1986, which means that display techniques are relatively modern, the layout is clear and coherent, and there is even plenty of labeling in English."  To read more, go here:
http://www.moscow.info/museums/kremlin-armory-museum.aspx

On my way to the Museum, I had time to stop in two of the churches and also to see the largest bell in the world and the Tsar Cannon.




No photos were allowed in the Museum, which was really ato my benefit, as I would have gone into overload.  The Bible covers and Icons were way and beyond those in the State Historical Museum, with dainty gold filigree and huge jewels.  Case after case of silver and gold trinkets, trays, silver services, etc., that were given to the Tzar's as gifts from European Ambassadors.  Military armor for men and horses, guns, swords, etc.  Crowns, regalia, thrones, clothing including coronation and wedding gowns, etc. Ivan the Terrible's throne was there; made of ivory and actually quite small/short.  There was even a step for his feet to rest on, and I don't think the chair was that high.  There was also a double throne for when two of the tzar's, age 10 & 12 ascended to the throne together -- or so the audio guide told me!  In one of the last rooms were carriages and sledges: a sledge that one of the women rode in over three days in the winter to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow to take over when her father died.  There were two little ones for children; one a sledge and the other to be carried by people.  The audio guide explained that midgets were hired to carry it, so to give the impression that all was full-sized.  There were three in the rococo style with gold gilding and then there was Catherine the Greats carriage with a decorative banner painted around the top each, with diamonds encrusted.  Incredible. 

And last, but not least there were Faberge Eggs. There was the one with the railroad in it, another that had a miniature of one of the palaces, another that had a clock on it and a bouquet of flowers coming out the top, another set on a base of the spires of the towers of the Kremlin, and another with a miniature boat.  Here are a few pics I took of cards I bought with some of the eggs.



Inside the museum, but totally separate is the "Diamond Fund" with billions of dollars worth of raw gold, silver, diamonds and royal objects made out of these as well.  They control the number of people in this chamber by allowing small groups to enter every 20 minutes.  It sure is nice to be sightseeing in the winter, as I was able to go in the next time the door opened.  I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be in the summer to get into it!  

Tomorrow I think I will do sightseeing sitting down!



No comments:

Post a Comment