Sunday, December 16, 2012

The kindness of strangers

 
The other day I went to the shopping mall and stopped in a fast food chain for a bite to eat.  (okay, I know this is bad wherever I am, but…..)  So, I had gotten my food and went to an empty table.  There was a lady at the next table obviously waiting for someone else to join her.  As I set my tray down, took off my coat, and prepared to sit down, she said something to me, and of course I didn’t understand her.  I indicated I didn’t speak Spanish, only English and proceeded to sit down.  She started motioning me to a chair at her table, just as a young man joined her with their food.  She continued to motion for me to join them, and he invited me as well.  I thought “how awkward”, but didn’t see a polite way out of the situation, so went ahead and joined them. 

As I sat down, I asked if she spoke English, and she didn’t, but said her son did.  So, I ended up eating my lunch with this mother and her 18-year-old son and engaged in a fun conversation of broken Spanish and English, as her son had studied English in high school. I quite enjoyed this chance encounter and answering the young man’s questions about how life is different here and in the US.  We talked about everything from our children to our work, Christmas shopping and what he wants to do when he finishes school. 

When I thanked her for the invitation to join them, she said over and over that no one should eat alone.  Being single and traveling by myself, I often eat alone and don’t give it a second thought.  But joining them not only made my day and theirs (they were grinning ear-to-ear as they left), it had the side benefit of my not eating much of my french fries!!!  But seriously, I have been thinking of this every day and it brings a smile to my face and warms my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. These types of encounters truly make traveling a joy. Thanks for sharing your travels, and meetings with us.

    ReplyDelete