Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Friday, September 2, 2011


Had a pretty good day today.  Finally got up earlier – adjusting to this time zone, which is two hours later than Ireland and England.  Met a couple from Australia at brekkie who weren’t thrilled to be in the city, but were heading for Gallipoli where so many Australians lost their lives in WWI, and then on down the coast to join a friend who had his yacht there…. When the Guesthouse owner came into the breakfast room, we had a nice conversation with him, with Mr. Australia leading the way.  Mr. Guesthouse is a Kurd and talked about politics which was interesting, but he didn’t comprehend all the questions being asked.

I changed to the Tour hotel today, as I couldn’t stand being in that closet any longer.  Mr. Guesthouse was real nice about it, and real apologetic that he couldn’t give me a refund, but I hadn’t really expected that he would.  This new place is SOOOO much nicer and has the price to prove it – BUT, I can’t get on the Internet with my computer here – argh!  It’s always something.   I do feel much safer here, both in terms of theft and in case of fire, etc.

The local agency for my homestay program dropped off a packet of information.  Two really high quality booklets: one on Istanbul and the other on Turkey as a whole along with a sheet of do’s and don’ts with the homestays.  I’ve sent an email again to the coordinator, this time asking if I can leave one of my suitcases here until my return.  I will leave my long pants, sweater, and gifts for the family and any other stupid thing that I thought I had to have but haven’t used yet!  Let’s hope they agree to do it!

I spent a good portion of my afternoon out having lunch and then walking.  And, I had experiences at both ends of the spectrum.  The place I had lunch was a traditional type place with a small buffet of about five dishes to choose from.  I chose one and told them just a little rice.  When they brought it out to me, there was the same amount of rice as there was of the main dish, a lamb and vegetable stew.   White French bread came with it to, instead of the pita that has been served elsewhere.  Anyway, one of the men working there saw I didn’t eat much of the rice and asked me if I didn’t like it.  I explained that I don’t each much rice and had only asked for a little bit.  He laughed and said that the dish was only a little bit and pointed to the rice on another table!  I was sitting at a sidewalk table and when I was ready to go, no one was outside, so I finally walked inside and asked for my check and also what the name of the dish was.  Well, we got into a conversation and he told me to come back tomorrow because every day there are different dishes and tomorrows would be very good – I forget what type he said.  So anyway, I took the piece of paper with the name of the dish on it and left.  When I was about two blocks away, I realized I hadn’t paid !  so, I went right back and apologized and the man said, no worries, 15 lira was not going to make him or me a rich person, and besides, it was not the money that made someone rich, but what was in here, as he tapped his heart!  I paid, and told him I would try to come back tomorrow. 

Walking alone here is torture.  One man after another calls out trying to get your attention – some to sell carpets, or whatever they have, and others, I’m not too sure what they are selling!  “Hello Madam” (too many times to count) “Hello Lady” (too many times to count) “I bet you are from Australia” (3 times)  “I bet you are from Canada” (1 time)  “Hey Lady, I saw you before…you must be teaching here…lady, lady, lady…” (1 time)  If you even somewhat pause, they are on you in a flash still talking, asking if you want to buy…..   So, I walk with my head down, eyes averted – this could be a good thing cause the sidewalks are so bad, but I also then must stop to look around.  I am looking forward to being in a group or with other people soon!

Didn’t take any pictures today, as I walked through areas where we will go on the tour.  Wish I could go further and see other things, but unfortunately, I just feel uncomfortable.  Maybe I will find someone at breakfast tomorrow who is on the tour and also traveling alone. 

Tonight I had dinner on the busy street just a block up from here and from my old hotel.  I’ve eaten at restaurants on that street twice before.  Ended up talking with a lady from Norway (she started it!) while her husband went to look at a “cave” at the back of the restaurant.  When he came back, he said it was really cool and that we really should go look at it, so I went with her.  Talking to the restaurant host later, he said that it was found about 12 years ago when someone went to build, and instead they found part of an old castle/mansion/palace.  Incredible!  When I went to leave the host asked if he had heard me right, that I was joining a tour tomorrow.  When I said yes, he asked about the company and said we are gong there tomorrow night and said it was a good thing I didn’t order what we are having tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment