Thursday, September 15, 2011

Vacation from my vacation

Ok, so I took a vacation from my vacation!  Kind of lame, eh?  But not really!  So much of our time has been spent viewing museums and archeological sites, that it was great to take a day for a boat trip on the Mediterranean and go swimming.  

We were the only ones on the boat and went to a cove where we were able to swim.  We weren’t the only boat there and everyone was enjoying the coolness of the water.  I was surprised by how salty the water was.  Our boat was similar to this one, and I am sure we looked the same to them, with all these heads bopping up and down.   Some of us saw a sea turtle also, but I was unable to get a picture of it.



 We were served a fantastic lunch with quite a few salads, rice pilaf, and sea bass, after which we were able to swim again before heading back to the city.  The dish in the right front was roated eggplant and zucchini with yogurt. They sure know how to use their veggies here!




Some tour members were dropped off at a museum while the rest of us went back to the hotel.  I was able to take a nap – exhausted from the heat! – and email my first host family about my arrival time, as well as make a hotel reservation for my first two nights in Izmir.  That evening we ate as a group at the hotel, the meal being made by one of the brothers who owns the hotel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment