Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Monday, September 27


Had a crazy busy day, after last week which was so quiet and almost lazy.  I decided to take a walk before breakfast and headed out towards the water front.  I got in a good 45 minute walk.  When I was just a few short blocks from Abdullah’s, I ran into Makebula, his oldest daughter and the one who has arranged these homestays!  I looked a mess in dirty wrinkled pants and shirt and of course was red and sweaty.  She was sitting at a small bakery with her husband along the street.  Anyway, she came running out to say hello, etc., and then told me this was the bakery of the second family I will stay with!  She introduced me to her husband, and to my second host family, all the while I was dying of embarrassment for how I looked.  My host mom was not there luckily and the man had to go back into the bakery right away anyway.  Makebule told me she again had a very busy day with two men from London from the Company coming to visit her and two schools for the day, but would stop by to see us later in the afternoon. 

Anyway, when I got back home, I had breakfast with Abdullah and Ayten, still in my sweaty clothes.  Finally I took a shower and got dressed and just as I was heading to the full-length mirror by the front door, Abdullah’s son, Mehmet arrived!  SOOOOO glad I had taken my shower and changed my clothes!  We visited for a few minutes, and then Mehmet’s wife also arrived!  More Turkish tea and coffee and I was invited to go walk on the “bazaar” (pedestrian only street) with Biertoo, Mehmet’s wife.  We ended up finally getting me to a hairdresser to have my hair recolored and trimmed.  50 liras later, I was looking half way decent again and with grey roots and not blond from the sun bleaching out the color I had! 

Ayşegül and Makebule both also stopped by as well as an elderly gentleman, an old friend of Abdullah’s.  Makebule explained to me that the host father of my second family had seen me walk by on my way to the waterfront, and wondered if it was me from Makebule’s descriptions of me to them.  So, she was thrilled when she happened to be there when I came back past the shop.  Makebule also explained that she usually stops everyday to see her father, but just hasn’t been able to since last week was the first week of school and she is so busy. 

Tonight we have been invited to dinner at Mehmet and Beirtoo’s apartment for dinner.  I understand we will have fish and raku, the national drink.

Oh, so Abdullah’s computer seems to have gotten a virus and was taken to the repair shop, so I tried plugging this computer into his modem and waa-lah, I have easy internet! Yea!  But I have no privacy, and I can't stay on it all day anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment