Saturday, September 10, 2011

Konya Market

In Konya -- a conservative city and a Muslim holy place and the burial place of Mevlana Rumi, spiritual father of the Whirling Dervishes.  We arrived late yesterday and were able to tour the Mevlana Museum and walk through the bazaar.  I loved this bazaar: it was more like those I have experienced in other countries and seemed so much more "real" to me than the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.  Tourists from outside the Muslim world are rarer here than in Cappadocia and other places in Western Turkey and we received our fair share of stares and kids giggling and following us.  I held to the back of the group and talked to the kids who were following us.  These girls just couldn't stop giggling, so I talked to them and got their names and their ages (they needed help understanding the "how old are you" question.  

These boys sell Turkish tea to the stall workers, but had none at the time we saw them.  They were more than happy to pose for the picture!



These boys were at the shoe repair stall next to the one that Ayshagul stopped at to talk to the man.  They were busy texting, but I got their names.  I had to wait for Ayshagul to ask though if they were texting their girl friends....that got a big laugh and extreme head shaking of "no"!



No comments:

Post a Comment